COMPLETING THE ENTRANCE COUNSELING SESSION AND MASTER PROMISSORY NOTE (MPN)
What you will need:
- 20 – 30 minutes
- Your Federal FSA ID (if you have not created your FSA ID, please click the HERE under the Log In ICON or call 1-800-557-7394 for assistance.
- Your FSA ID User Name or email address and Password
- A copy of your Financial Aid Award Letter
- Your Cost of Attendance (listed on the award letter)
NOTE: Before completing the counseling session, you may review the counseling demo.
1. Enter www.studentloans.gov, (If you want to view the Demo, you must be Log In and from the top menu select getting loans, Click on Counseling Demo.
2. Log In with your FSA ID UserName and Password (If you reviewed the Demo, you are already Logged IN).
3. Select Language if different from English, check email address, and answer correspondence questions and agree to terms and conditions, Save and Continue.
4. Select, Complete Counseling, select the school you want to receive your EC, answer all questions and Submit:
Each entrance counseling page will provide you with information about Federal Direct Loans. There will be a quiz after each section. Once you have completed the entrance counseling, you will then be taken to the Completion Verification page, which will display your information. You may print a copy of this page for your records.
5. From the Menu select complete Master Promissory Note, Read all Terms and Conditions, and Submit
- On the next page, select Subsidized/Unsubsidized to proceed. This process has 4 steps to complete the MPN and submit so that you may borrow a federal student loan; this note is your promise to repay the loan in full.
- Complete the personal information questions on the next page (Step 1) about driver’s license, permanent address, and school information and click continue.
- The next page requests two personal references (Step 2), listing someone here does not make them financially responsible for the loan, it is a reference that can be used in the future should you not keep your contact information up-to-date with the student loan servicer, then click continue.
- The next page requires that you read through terms and conditions (Step 3) in different sections, you must click the + sign next to each section to read, mark that you have read the information and click continue.
- . The final page (Step 4) is to review and sign. You will be asked to review the information you entered, type in your name and click the sign button, then click continue. This should take you to a page with a message that says: